RVTools is one of my favorite virtualization tools.
It connects to your vCenter server and captures all kinds of information about the virtual infrastructure.
The collected data is presented to you in an excel style spreadsheet: neatly lined up into columns and tabs – everything is easy to find and ready to analyse.
If you want, the tool can even interact with your vCenter Server/ESXi hosts to perform some administrative tasks like disconnecting CDROM and floppy drives or upgrade the VMware Tools on all your virtual machines.
Another advantage: you can export all data into a csv-file. This enables you to analyse the data using Excel or just archive the output (eg. as part of your documentation).
And by the way – the tool is free (sponsored by VEEAM)
But what is new in Version 3.7? Here a copy of the version info:
- VI SDK reference changed from 5.0 to 5.5
- Extended the timeout value from 10 to 20 minutes for really big environments
- New field VM Folder on vCPU, vMemory, vDisk, vPartition, vNetwork, vFloppy, vCD, vSnapshot and vTools tabpages
- On vDisk tabpage new Storage IO Allocation Information
- On vHost tabpage new fields: service tag (serial #) and OEM specific string
- On vNic tabpage new field: Name of (distributed) virtual switch
- On vMultipath tabpage added multipath info for path 5, 6, 7 and 8
- On vHealth tabpage new health check: Multipath operational state
- On vHealth tabpage new health check: Virtual machine consolidation needed check
- On vInfo tabpage new fields: boot options, firmware and Scheduled Hardware Upgrade Info
- On statusbar last refresh date time stamp
- On vhealth tabpage: Search datastore errors are now visible as health messages
- You can now export the csv files separately from the command line interface (just like the xls export)
- You can now set a auto refresh data interval in the preferences dialog box
- All datetime columns are now formatted as yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss
- The export dir / filenames now have a formated datetime stamp yyyy-mm-dd_hh:mm:ss
- Bug fix: on dvPort tabpage not all networks are displayed
- Overall improved debug information