You may need to disassociate an ESXi host from vCenter in a situation where your vCenter Server is not available (eg. to perform an Emergency Restore of a VM directly to an ESXi host).
If you use vSphere 5.0 or above just follow these steps:
- connect directly to your ESXi host using the vSphere Client
- select the ESXi host in the left inventory panel
- change to the “Summary” tab
- scroll down till you see the “Host Management” section
In the “Host Management” section you have two possibilities:
- Reconnect vSphere Client to this vCenter Server…
- Disassociate host from vCenter Server…
Choose number two: “Disassociate host from vCenter Server…” – Done!